Error 404 on some top level, new topic posts ? (at one instance only)

A new topic, trying to figure out this 404 Error :

I have observed this for the past few days; only when trying to post a New Topic on Qoto’s instance.

Replying to another topic, a notification, no problems. And this has not happened elsewhere.

In web parlance, Error 404 is a missing file or resource, so I wonder what could be happening here.

Sent a Toot to Nolan asking. Will update if a response is found.

@nolan Good morning! Hope you are having a nice weekend.

Question - I am getting this 404 Error on #Pinafore when trying to post at the Local feed. Screen attached.

No error if I am responding to someone’s post. This is happening only on one instance, Qoto.org.

What Could I do to solve? Logout could help?

Also, if you have any suggestions for existing sources for Pinafore help and tips, documentation – I will be collating any info I can find and posting in our PF forum. TY !

@design_RG

And I already received a Reply from Nolan.

…which led me to do some testing.

I used the Developer Tools in Firefox (accessed via the F12 key in any open page.

Went to the Network tab, which shows all traffic in the current web page – requests sent, replies received.

And – I discovered TWO things.

Screenshot of the Network panel :

Using the normal client version at Pinafore.social:

• Here the 404 Error happened. I had seen this for days, and it was annoying me.
  • To the point to asking for help, not something I do easily – first trying to solve problems on my own.

Screenshot of the Network panel in this case :

And in the bottom, there’s the 404 Error in Pink.

My solution for now is to switch to using the Dev branch of Pinafore, as there appears to be a difference in the code which avoids the Error in the newest client.

Additional details on the missing (404) file :

PF-404-Error-Network-Details--Panel-F12-554x424p
Thank you Nolan for the assistance.

And to Ease my using the Dev version of Pinafore exclusively :

I am editing the Shortcut on the Frequently Used sites in my Firefox Browser (Waterfox actually).

Go to a New Tab. In the list of Top Sites, find the desired one to Edit.

Right Click on the ‘…’ menu at top right corner of shortcut icon.

Dev-PF-ShortcutEdit-602x274p

And edit the URL field - adding the ‘dev’ word will load the Development, Beta version of Pinafore from the shortcut from now on. So, instead of :

https://pinafore.social/ we will use —> https://dev.pinafore.social/

Save, and Done. :smiley_cat: