Detecting Exoplanets and Asteroids: First Citizen Science Successes for Backyard Astronomy

This is a great development and a good reason to get involved and or support citizen science.

Detecting Exoplanets and Asteroids

1 Like

I wrote about a related discovery on my Blog a while back to highlight a science paper on the Star 55 cancri e, discovered by the CHEOPS telescope.

cheops-telescope-operational

And in an attempt to make the article more useful, I also found the location of 55 cancri - e using Kstars and created a related blog post.

55-cancri-location

55 Cancri-e is anexoplanet with an interesting composition. Which shows how science can throw up all sorts of new ideas and challenge existing ideas, in this case in relation to planet formation.

In a related topic to this

New Scientist - 25th June

Three exoplanets are close enough for us to see their atmospheres

Just been reading about this in relation to Gelise 581 in Libre. This star system is much closer, so if there is a planet in a habitable zone it would only take 11 years to send a message and assuming they can and do reply another 11 years get a reply,22 years in total. Much quicker than for Gelise

Exciting stuff

Found this and added for Clarity

Gliese Star Catalogue of nearest stars with in 25 parsecs or about 75 ly

Interesting related development in looking for technology / life beyond our own planet.

Narrowing down the search does seem a good step. Between this and perhaps the Gilese and othercatalogues we can perhaps eliminate planets / systems that are low candidates, and concentrate on the systems that have a higher chance of hosting life and take it from there.

You need to sign in to read the full Physics World article. So I have provided a link below more information about Julie Sage.

Feel free to comment below. Are you inspired ?

More information on CubeSats

7 Sage Labs PodCasts

First-ever direct photo of multiple planetary system around a sun-like star

This looks interesting, actual direct photo of a multi planetary system, the star does look interesting and seems to have a central part and a disc around it.

Can’t wait for the James Webb Telescope to be launched, that is going really expand our knowledge of what is out there.

Exciting times ahead.